Author Topic: Malware via SMS Text  (Read 7253 times)

May 31, 2019, 05:11:37 AM

RussellMania

• View Profile
Malware via SMS Text
« on: May 31, 2019, 05:11:37 AM »
Can you really be infected just by receiving a text message. I read that if you receive a square text message, it will infect your Iphone and Android devices. How is something like this possible. How is a text message able to run code without the user doing anything.

Reply #1May 31, 2019, 11:27:23 PM

Curson

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
Re: Malware via SMS Text
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 11:27:23 PM »
Hi RussellMania,

Yes, this is possible if the message is crafted in such a way to be able to exploit vulnerabilities in the software used to receive SMS messages and to use them to gain access to you phone system.
However, if you keep your applications and system updated, such risk is very small.

For additional information about exploits, please refer to the following article : Exploits, Exploit kits and Protection.

Regards.

Note : This thread has been moved to the "General Discussion" section for clarity.

Reply #2June 04, 2019, 04:42:10 AM

RussellMania

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 04:42:10 AM »
Can this type of malware be removed by doing a factory restore or a DFU restore. I heard that in some cases you need to buy a new phone.

Reply #3June 04, 2019, 07:57:51 PM

Curson

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 07:57:51 PM »
Hi RussellMania,

I think so. Even in the case the factory image is altered by a malware infection, you still can download an official firmware image from the manufacturer website.
However, I'm not specialized in Mobile infections, so please take into account I can be wrong about this.

Regards.