Author Topic: "Update" Button Not Working  (Read 7345 times)

May 14, 2018, 10:49:43 PM

jonmoney

• View Profile
"Update" Button Not Working
« on: May 14, 2018, 10:49:43 PM »
Trying to update my premium version of RogueKiller. (Just purchased a license yesterday.) Upon clicking the "Update" button, it tells me that my H&S Updater software cannot detect a compact flash card. Upon clicking "OK" it starts my "H&S Updater" software. (This is a software for updating H&S tuners that are used to program diesel engine computers.) Obviously H&S isn't related to RogueKiller and my whole reason for buying a license was to avoid having to go through the painful process of downloading a new version everytime I use it. Anyone else have the problem of launching an unrelated program when trying to update their RogueKiller software? Any help would be appreciated.

Windows 10 64-bit
RogueKiller Portable 64-bit
Premium license

Thank you!
Jon M.

Reply #1May 15, 2018, 05:13:54 PM

Tigzy

• Administrator

• Personal Text
    Owner, Adlice Software
    • View Profile
    • Adlice Software
Re: "Update" Button Not Working
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:13:54 PM »
Hey, thanks for letting us know :)
Could you post a screenshot of the error message "H&S" ? That will help us to identify the issue;

Thanks,

Reply #2May 16, 2018, 01:45:46 AM

jonmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 01:45:46 AM »
Thanks for responding! Here's what happens: I open RogueKiller. It tells me there's an update. I click the "update" button and RogueKiller goes away and H&S software opens up to the screen shown in the attachment. Wish I knew of a free screen recording tool so I could show you as it happens! RogueKiller is my one go-to place to put my mind at ease when I'm afraid my computer might be infected. Like I said earlier, I just went to "Premium" so I didn't have to download every time. Thank you in advance for your help! -Jon Money

Reply #3May 16, 2018, 01:49:35 AM

jonmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 01:49:35 AM »
Here is what opens when I close the window.

Question: Is your update program in RogueKiller named "Updater.exe" by chance? Maybe RK is opening the H&S Updater ("Updater.exe") when I click the button?

Reply #4May 16, 2018, 01:59:46 AM

jonmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:59:46 AM »
Issue solved! To answer my own question, I renamed H&S' "Updater.exe" to "HSUpdate.exe" and then was able to run the RogueKiller updater. It promptly told me "you need to run the installable version." (I was running "Portable 64-bit.") So I used the download link displayed in the message and installed; then got the update. All is good now! Thanks!

Reply #5May 16, 2018, 07:51:54 AM

Tigzy

• Administrator

• Personal Text
    Owner, Adlice Software
    • View Profile
    • Adlice Software
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
Hey,
that is a strange story...
Yes, RogueKiller updater is called updater.exe, but is located into its own RogueKiller directory, so there's no confusion.
Looks like H&S do some hooking / monitoring and intercepts RogueKiller update attempts.

By any chance, was RogueKiller portable placed into the same directory as H&S ?

Reply #6May 17, 2018, 07:29:48 PM

jonmoney

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 07:29:48 PM »
Yes; I was using the "portable 64-bit" version of RogueKiller and it was stored on the desktop (for quick access.)  So it was a stand-alone app. On the same desktop was the "Updater" program for my H&S diesel tuner software. It also is a standalone executable. Its original name was "Updater.exe". I renamed it to "HSUpdate.exe" and that stopped it from launching via RogueKiller Portable 64-bit. Of course, the portable version doesn't allow updating, so it prompted me to download the full, "installer" version. Works like a champ now.

Love RogueKiller. I've been a fan for a long time! I'm glad I (finally) purchased a license and will continue to do that from now on. Please keep up the great work!