Author Topic: Update Error Affecting One Computer  (Read 6485 times)

December 20, 2019, 06:10:33 PM

garioch7

• Personal Text
    Phil
    • View Profile
Update Error Affecting One Computer
« on: December 20, 2019, 06:10:33 PM »
I have two computers:

1. Dell XPS 8930 desktop (2019-10 purchase), Windows 10 Pro, x64 (Build 1909), Bitdefender 2020 Total Security, Malwarebytes Premium 4.0.4.  RKP has real-time protection modules disabled.  No issue updating that computer earlier this week to Version 14.0.2.0.

2. Dell  Studio XPS 1645 (2009-12 purchase - ten years old), Windows 10 Pro, x64 (Build 1909), Bitdefender 2020 Total Security, Malwarebytes Premium 4.0.4.  RKP has real-time protection modules disabled.  I am getting the update errors shown below.  It was previously successfully updated to RKP Version 14.0.1.0  I did a reboot between the first update error and the second and hibernation is turned off on both of my computers.

I use RKP strictly as a second-opinion on-demand scanner, once a week.  I do not want to risk conflicts with my other security software.

I have also noted that on both computers, RKP is extremely slow to load, and the new XPS 8930 has an NVMe.M2 1 TB SSD with over 800 GB free, as well as a high-end i7 processor and 32 GB of DDR4-2666 RAM.  Nothing is slow to launch on this computer, except the series 4 versions of RPK.

If you require logs or further information, please let me know.  No rush on this - enjoy your weekend.  Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor

Reply #1December 20, 2019, 08:48:45 PM

Curson

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
Re: Update Error Affecting One Computer
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 08:48:45 PM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your feedback.
Could you please try to disable Bitdefender protection modules before installing and launching RogueKiller ?

Regards.

Reply #2December 22, 2019, 07:10:43 PM

garioch7

• Personal Text
    Phil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 07:10:43 PM »
Curzon:

Sorry for the late reply.  I did not get to the Adlice Forum yesterday, due to company arriving.  I did disable all of the Bitdefender protection modules just a few minutes ago and RKP updated successfully.  It is possible that Bitdefender updated their detection signatures, fixed a bug or something since Friday, or one really does need to disable Bitdefender to update RKP; but, if that is so, how come RKP updated successfully on my desktop computer?  Both are running the same version of Windows and Bitdefender, which is why I think it might have been a "bad" BD detection signature update ... ?

Are there one or more RKP files/folders, as there is with Malwarebytes, that I need add as exceptions to Bitdefender?  It is my primary security software and I have used it for years now on both of my computers.  The Bitdefender anti-virus engine is widely used, so I think it is important that RKP and BD play together nicely in the same sandbox.  As I said, in my original post, I do not have any of the RKP real-time protection modules enabled, precisely to avoid conflicts.

Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Reply #3December 23, 2019, 04:33:32 PM

Curson

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2019, 04:33:32 PM »
Hi Phil,

Don't worry about that.
There is currently an issue with BitDefender on some setup. We are in contact with them, and hope it will be fixed shorty.

To be more concise, in some cases BitDefender doesn't allow a certain DLL to be acceded (RogueKiller.dll), which lead to those read errors in the installation process. Additionally, there is no trace of this in BitDefender logs, so we think it's more a bug than a false positive.

I will keep you informed of the results of the investigation.

Have a nice day.
Regards.

Reply #4December 23, 2019, 05:52:26 PM

Tigzy

• Administrator

• Personal Text
    Owner, Adlice Software
    • View Profile
    • Adlice Software
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 05:52:26 PM »
Hello,
We have released a new version today, did you run intro trouble updating ?
If so, are you able to generate a memory dump (with tasks manager) of our installer when it's showing the error message ?

Thanks,

Reply #5December 23, 2019, 07:49:26 PM

garioch7

• Personal Text
    Phil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 07:49:26 PM »
Tigzy:

I just successfully updated both computers to RKP 14.0.3.0.  Both had the most current Bitdefender definitions.  Perhaps BD has fixed things at their end?

Thank you for your outstanding tech support.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Reply #6December 26, 2019, 01:16:43 AM

Curson

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 01:16:43 AM »
Hi Phil,

Thanks for your feedback.
It seems some users are still affected by this bug. Please do inform us if the issue appear again. Could you please attach a memory dump as well ?

Have a great day.
Regards.

Reply #7December 26, 2019, 06:38:41 PM

garioch7

• Personal Text
    Phil
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 06:38:41 PM »
Curzon:

Yes, I will let you know if it happens again, and I will try to get a memory dump for you in that event.

Enjoy the holidays and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Reply #8December 27, 2019, 06:39:36 AM

Curson

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 06:39:36 AM »
Hi Phil,

Thank you very much.

Nice holidays to you, too.