Author Topic: PUM.dns - false positive?  (Read 5081 times)

April 23, 2016, 10:35:34 PM

Salenai

• View Profile
PUM.dns - false positive?
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:35:34 PM »
Hi guys,
I have never had any problem with roguekiller that I could not get rid of. Also roguekiller never found Pum
Dns malware before. Now it did. 4 entries. I tried deleting them but roguekiller just replaced them and they were back again.
I have not found them with Mbam,Mbar,Eset Online Scanner, Avg, etc. But only roguekiller.

I decided to make back up to external HDD snd reinstall windows.
I did fresh reinstall. Deleted partitions, created new ones,formatted them and installed win. Then installes drivers,updates and my stuff to laptop from external hdd.

Did roguekiller scan and found 4 pum dns entries again.
Then I did fresh reinstall again, did not update anything or download, but only downloaded roguekiller as first thing and did scan again. I had 4 entries again.
Now i tried something again.
I did the scan,replaced them.while i was disconnected from internet. It replaced the files and when I did new scan they were not founs again.
Then I turned internet again,did scan and they reappeared.

I have questions:
1. Are they legit? My opinion is that they are, very few malware/spywares can persist through fresh reinstalls
2. I found conflicting information on internet,some claimed it is legit and some it is not.
3. Seems to reappear after turning on the internet. Stays deleted if internet is off.
4. After fresh reinstall even if I had no files from backup,updates,etc. I managed to find it with roguekiller. If it was legit, most likely it would have infected a file which i had backed up,would make more sense if ot reinfected my pc that way. But I scanned first thing after reinstallation.
5. My theory is that this appeared as false positive after recent update to roguekiller. Older versions never ever found it.

Is this please legit and safe or not? Thanks.

Reply #1April 24, 2016, 09:13:08 AM

Salenai

• View Profile
Re: PUM.dns - false positive?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »
Could anyone please tell me what am I dealing with and if I should be worried or not? Thanks

Reply #2April 24, 2016, 11:30:09 PM

Curson

• Global Moderator

• View Profile
Re: PUM.dns - false positive?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 11:30:09 PM »
Hi Salenai,

Welcome to Adlice.com Forum.

PUM stands for Potentially Unwanted Modification. In your case, thoses entries are perfectly legit and necessary to access Internet.
For more information, please read RogueKiller Documentation.

Regards.